Kickin’ Ash is designed to inspire you to get the facts, express your thoughts and learn the truth about tobacco. It’s critical to find out what smoking actually does to the body, why people start even though they know it’s bad for them, and how Big Tobacco companies recruit new, teenage customers.
- Knowledge is power. Knowing the facts makes you less likely to be influenced by others who smoke or by Big Tobacco advertising.
Did you know…
- 1 out of every 2 long-term smoker dies from smoking or smoking-related illnesses.
- About one out of three youth who smoke will eventually die from a tobacco-related illness.
- 37,000 Canadians die every year from tobacco, and that’s the entire Yukon population!
- Not everyone’s doing it! 86% of Yukon Youth in grades 6-10 have never even tried it.
- Cigarette Smoke has 4000+ chemicals in it, and 70 of them are known to cause cancer.
- Hookah smoke is just as bad as cigarette smoke – a 60 minute hookah session is the same as smoking 100 cigarettes.
- Smoking makes it harder to exercise and play sports because it damages the lungs and makes it harder to breathe.
- 600 million trees are chopped down every year in order to make tobacco products.
- Nicotine is one of the chemicals in cigarettes and smokeless tobacco that makes them so addictive. It is a powerful chemical that alters the way our brain works. Experts say tobacco is as addictive as cocaine or heroin.
- Cigarettes cost a lot of money, and that money adds up fast! See how much it can add up in a week/month/year with Quit Path’s Smoking Cost Calculator.
- Tobacco companies spent $9.6 billion in 2012 on advertising and promoting their tobacco products – that’s 26 million dollars a day! Picture winning the lottery… every single day… and spending all of it on advertising and promotions!
- Find a gazillion more facts here.